The rate at which the human population is using natural resources will soon lead to its exhaustion. With the Increasing population, demands are also increasing. To meet the future needs of the upcoming generation we need to conserve resources. Energy is also a resource for mankind and its conservation is equally important and to mark the importance of energy conservation every year 14 Dec is celebrated as ‘energy conservation Day’.
‘Energy conservation Day’ is marked to raise awareness about the importance of energy conservation and energy efficiency among the general public. Energy conservation refers to the reduction in energy consumption or using less energy involving services.
The energy that we used nowadays is non-renewable. As per the scientific reports, the current energy resources that we now use are exhausting at an alarming rate.
Conserving energy for future generations is important because the rate at which we are using the energy it will exhaust in the next 40 years can put the upcoming generation at huge risk.
As an individual, we can also contribute to it and conserve energy. Some of the methods that an individual can follow without any expenditure are:
- Turn off the lights. Turning off the electrical appliance can save you from heavy electricity bills and it can be your little but important contribution to energy conservation.
- Use natural lights. Natural lights are absolutely free to use and it illuminates better than an artificial bulb. Avoid using lights in the day time and instead, use natural light.
- Don’t forget to turn the tap off. It is a small but important step. Heating the water takes a lot of energy so if you shorter your shower time, it will save energy and water also.
- Unplug the electronics. Unplugging unused electronics can save a lot of energy. Standby power consumption costs us a lot. By just unplugging the device and turning the switch off you contribute a lot.
- Replace your old desktop computer. Old desktop computers have a lot of disadvantages including excess power consumption. It’s bulky, heavy, not easy to move, and guess what it is adding the extra load to your electric bill also. Replacing it with a laptop can solve all these issues.
- Don’t forget to turn off the AC. If you are leaving home don’t forget to turn off the AC. Air conditioners consume a lot of energy so just turn them off while you are away.
- Conserve energy in the kitchen. Avoid unnecessarily using ovens, inductions, mixers.
- Save energy while doing laundry. Avoid hot water it saves a lot of energy and runs full loads.
These steps can be helpful in your day to day life energy-conserving journey. Many scientists and companies are working on technologies that can use sustainable and green energy.
Actress Bhoomi Padnekar also emphasizes the importance of switching to green energy.”We have to understand that climate change is real and we are in the middle of a crisis. I want to say this loudly to everyone that we are in the middle of a crisis……..”We have to act now and act immediately to save our planet and we have to move towards using renewable sources of energy which is clean for the environment. We are not realising the potential threat that lies ahead of us if we don’t address climate change in a big way,” she said.
The energy conservation Act in India was first implemented by Energy Efficiency Bureau (BEE) in 2001. BEE is a government body that regulates policies regarding the use of energy. Green hydrogen is seen as a potential cleaner fuel that can replace the conventional resources in the upcoming future. Scientist believe that green energy an alternative fuel that can bring the world to net-zero emissions in the coming decades